In some of our recent articles, we have been debunking some of the notions that small-business owners tend to hold about technology and equipment – and especially the idea that you can save money without sacrificing performance by using personal-class routers, servers, and email hosting packages. Although you certainly can save a few dollars by opting for these products or packages, what you lose in speed, security, and reliability nearly always ends up costing you more in the long run.
The same is true for Internet connections themselves. Although a lot of business owners opt for the same kinds of cable or DSL lines that they would use at home for their office web connectivity, they typically end up being penny-wise and pound-foolish. That’s because business-class Internet connections (like a T-1 or microwave line) offer so much more.
When you get a professional business Internet connection in your office, here are just a few of the things you gain for your company and your employees:
- Speed and consistency. Despite the fast speeds for home connections that are quoted by Internet providers, the reality is that most DSL and cable lines are often much slower than expected during peak data usage times. In other words, they could slow down when you need them the most.
- Faster two-way data transfers. It isn’t just downloading data that’s important. If you have content to offload (like a video presentation, for example), having the ability to send information without long waits or slowing down other office connections is well worth the money.
- Sharper communications. For a lot of small businesses, the Internet isn’t just for email and file transfers, but also the basis for their telephone, fax, and online ordering systems. That means that by upgrading to a business web connection, you can make every part of your communications platform more reliable.
- Improved technical support. Even if you work with a company like Bay Area Computers, you’ll always be somewhat limited by home-class customer service or your Internet provider. But, with a business Internet plan, you get access to a faster and more dedicated team of technical representatives.
- Stronger web security. Because businesses have more sensitive data to protect, Internet service providers keep a closer eye on those connections to look out for suspicious or fraudulent activity.
- No data caps. Just by using popular music and video streaming services, you could easily run up against data transfer limits for your home web connection on a month-to-month basis. That issue becomes more of a stumbling block when you add in several workstations and business uses. With a business-class line, however, you don’t have to worry about running against the data, since most plans are unlimited.
There aren’t many businesses left that don’t rely on the Internet, or that couldn’t benefit from a faster, more secure connection to the outside world. So, if you’re looking to make the most of your budget and your bottom-line opportunities, talk with a member of our team today about business-class web connections and let us help you find the solution that’s right for your company.